Tray Dunaway's connection to the "business of medicine" started when he was three years old and his mother read him the Golden Book classic Nurse Nancy. He, however, identified with the doctor, but thought the band-aids that came "free" with the book were too cool. When he later discovered drug sales reps provided free penlights, he was hooked.
Today, M. Tray Dunaway, MD, FACS, CHCO connects the "dots of healthcare" in the healthcare ecosystem we all encounter or work in at some point in our lives. Connections between hospitals, patients, businesses of medicine, payers and a myriad of healthcare workers. Even irascible doctors. In fact, he was an irascible doctor for sixteen years in a general surgical practice in Camden, South Carolina.
As a "dotsultant" and professional speaker, he shows healthcare people, businesses, and organizations how to improve their connectivity with other "dots of healthcare" to improve profitability, enhance their reputation, increase "sales" in more dimensions than just financial gain, and to better serve patient needs.
His Documentation System has brought millions of dollars of increase revenue to client physician practices and hospitals alike through more effective E&M coding and DRG coding. His MVI model of Mutual Value Integration works by improving communication, finding the chemistry to make business solutions viable, and honoring the contribution of all the dots in healthcare.
Dr. Tray lives in South Carolina with his wife Jane and their three children and travels around the country to collect little hotel bars of soap, shampoo and conditioner bottles to donate and supply his favorite hospital "home-away-from-home" patient family facility in Orlando Florida for weeks on end.
Most Requested Programs...
- The Winds of Healthcare Change and What to do NOW! - A global recession that is affecting the previously described "evergreen economy" of healthcare. A new president with big ticket healthcare agendas and uncertain funding. Looming legislation to reduce provider reimbursement. Healthcare is a complex matrix of connecting dots evolving from external social, financial and political pressures. But understanding how these factors can influence positively or negatively on healthcare dots and how to use social, financial, and political savvy to healthcare's benefit is a key to survival and success. A step-by-step prescription tailored the specific audience's environment is offered by Dr. Dunaway that is still hallmarked by his lighthearted approach to the most serious threat to healthcare since the inception of Medicare.
- Strong Medicine: Connecting the Healthcare Dots™ An Insider's Look at Making the Business of Medicine Strong - Dr. Dunaway's Flagship keynote is designed to provide healthcare audiences with Dr. Dunaway's latest thinking on a variety of business issues of medicine as viewed from his own Mutual Value Integration perspective. Dr. Dunaway reconnects the disorganized dots of healthcare providers by improving communication, honoring the contribution of the many dots and finding the relationship and economic chemistry that makes it possible to join forces for mutual gain. From Dr. Dunaway's perspective as a "healthcare ecologist," you'll learn to think of the "healthcare ecosystem" from a Darwinian approach that identifies the evolutionary pressures affecting the future development of healthcare as Dr. Dunaway suggests a co-evolutionary symbiotic model of commensurate mutualism to avoid extinction.
- Building a Bridge between Hospitals and Physicians: Connecting With Your Doctors - When members of the healthcare community reframe their thinking around a sales model where physicians are the "salesmen" of a hospital who have never had any "sales training," substantive changes occur. Using physician education as a catalyst for changing the culture of physician/hospital relations helps meet the demands of today's competitive world of the "business of healthcare" by transforming physicians and hospital personnel and administrators into mutual partners of success. Exploring the different "languages of healthcare" results in improved communication and less friction between different perspectives all working toward a common goal to provide patient care excellence. Changing "medical behavioral economics" makes substantial and long-term bottom line improvement. Bridging the gap for clinicians between Clinical Excellence and Customer Service is a frequent focus of this program.
- Doctors are from Jupiter and You're From...Well, Actually, We don't care where you're from! - This humorous program is given for healthcare partners or organizations that depend on good working relationships with physicians. Dr. Dunaway not only explores the difficult process of Jovian identification, but the more down to earth cultural differences. Really down to earth with cultural ecology examples of hospital/physician - hunter/gatherer relationships. Dr. Dunaway shares his discovery of how he and most physicians are unaware of the value others in the "healthcare ecosystem" because of incorrect fundamental physician beliefs and misinformation. Designed to improve physician communication, this presentation shows how to change not only physician beliefs driving physician behavior and results, but beliefs non-physicians have about physicians as well. Educational and entertaining, an audience favorite!
- Confessions of a Medical Record Delinquent - Have you ever wondered why most doctors simply don't "get" HIM and compliance? This fun and funny program is a perennial favorite of "compliance culture people." Given from the perspective of the "Longest Consecutive Title Holder to Poster Child for Medical Record Delinquency" at his hospital, (a well earned distinction), Dr. Dunaway reaches HIM and compliance professionals with humor, honesty, and a perspective they might not have expected. With an insightful understanding of the challenges faced by HIM and compliance workforces, Dr. Dunaway shares hard working strategies he personally developed to overcome obstacles and most importantly, how to motivate physicians as well as hospital staffs to implement a more effective working relationship.
- Dr. Dunaway's Sales and Marketing Course 101 - If your business depends on a physician signature to sell to, (or through), who better to give the physician perspective on sales and marketing than a physician? This is an enlightening and enjoyable perspective of "sales" for both veteran sales forces as well as for those in the "business of healthcare" who don't understand that they are really in "sales" as well. When sales is tuned into the WIFM station of physicians and understands the mantra of "make 'em money, save 'em time, take away stress, give credit and recognition" and physician customer loyalty, not "satisfaction" is the goal, physicians respond.
- Would You Like Fries With That Order? : Selling Burgers in a "Burger Saturated Market" - How does a healthcare business differentiate itself among other healthcare businesses selling similar products? How do some hamburger chains rise above the white noise of everyone else selling "burgers?" In this "business of medicine" presentation, concepts of communication, understanding, satisfaction, loyalty, branding, brand awareness, brand insistence, positioning, value identification, and value interpretation, are illustrated and explored with other business principles that can help your healthcare business, (and any other business), to differentiate and succeed in any competitive marketplace. This program may be super-sized by a side order of specific organizational goals and objectives as determined by executive leadership needs.
- Celebration of Healthcare Value - This physician perspective of a variety of healthcare professions touches both the hearts and funny bones of all dedicated healthcare professionals.. By "walking the mile" in the shoes of these often under-recognized heroes of healthcare, Dr. Dunaway shares insights and observations that re-awaken the audience to their calling and not only acknowledges, but proves the inestimable value they provide to patients, patient families and physicians. (If you're looking to find the program where Dr. Dunaway sings his Healthcare song "Healthcare's All about Love" or other customized songs, this is the one!)
- Risk Based Coding - This presentation is designed to provide physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and medical/hospital office staffs with Dr. Dunaway's own streamlined solution to the E&M coding conundrum. By developing a six step method, Dr. Dunaway systematizes the process to enable physicians to achieve coding expertise, without having to become "coding experts." This physician friendly approach is revolutionary and enables physicians to implement the system on the very next patient they see. It is designed to save physicians time, make them every legitimate cent of reimbursement, give them the credit and recognition they deserve, and allow them to never fear an E&M audit again. Depending on client requirements, this can be simply a short introduction or a comprehensive program over multiple dates.
- Documentation: Key to Hospital and Physician Survival - A powerful and inspiring presentation for physician audiences that focuses on the "Power of the Pen." Healthcare quality is graded based on clinical data points and statistics derived exclusively from physician documentation in the medical record. Presented from a physician perspective of value, "hospital issues" such as DRG classifications, CC's, patient care profiling, and severity of illness indexes are shown to directly affect physicians as well. By helping physicians understand how this data is collected and it's financial, quality, and regulatory impact on physicians and hospitals, the symbiotic nature of physician-hospital relations are strengthened. Physicians will learn how improved and focused documentation will be the first step to empower physicians to regain the helm of healthcare.
- Their Rules, Our Way: The Next Documentation Level! - Once mastering the basics of E&M coding with Dr. Dunaway's Risk Based Coding™ System, physicians develop a variety of questions depending on their individual practice situations. Teaching Physician Guidelines; Consults vs. Referrals vs. Visits; Emergency Department Visits; Time Based Coding...all present challenges that Dr. Dunaway can help with. This program is typically customized to meet specific audience needs to help physicians not just survive, but to succeed in the documentation-coding-reimbursement game.
- __ompliance! - Dr. Dunaway also does a program on the "c" word. (compliance) But he doesn't have a title because clients usually want to include the "c" word in the title. And that invariably will diminish physician attendance by about 79%. And then only 21% of the physicians in attendance will learn how "c" and their "c-officer", (we prefer the term "documentation coach"), can help them succeed in the "fraud and abuse" healthcare environment" we must practice in. Even if the 21% tell the 79% who avoided the program because of the use of the "c" word how valuable it was, they won't believe 'em. They'll simply assume the physicians who attended were re-programmed and have become Stepford Doctors.