By Vicki Hess
Have you heard of any these lately?
“It’s not fair!”
“My boss is never around – how can she understand?”
“You’ve got to be kidding, they want us to do what?”
“Wah, Wah, Wah”
I’m running into a lot of overworked people these days. People everywhere are reporting higher productivity goals, longer working hours and less satisfying work. It’s a big bummer!
I get it. I have bad days at work too. Yes, even though I talk about being the Chief Paradise Officer (CPO) of my job, I still get bogged down in the “work” part of work every now and again. It’s no fun.
Sometimes I forget I can be in the driver’s seat and steer my work experience in any direction I want. Sound familiar?
Guess what? It doesn’t matter that crummy things happen at work. Unfortunately, unless you’re in charge of everything (and even sometimes when you are), you probably can’t do anything to put a stop to all the frustrations that pop up.
Of course, you should spend time using process improvement efforts to minimize challenges that are within your control…who wouldn’t want to do that? But, the Blame Game has never been one of my favorites.
Let’s talk about boosting your own job satisfaction by getting the driver’s seat.
I have a morning meditation practice. Recently, the guided meditation was about promoting inner happiness. I love that. I love connecting to someplace WITHIN ME – not having to count on anyone else – to find my own joy and well-being. Don’t you? If you aren’t sure how to meditate, check out Insight Timer – a free app for meditating that is super easy to use and has meditations from 1 minute to many.
Here are several easy to implement, high impact ideas for taking back control of your own job satisfaction and engagement. Pick a few that seem realistic to incorporate into your life RIGHT NOW so that you too, can officially claim the title of Chief Paradise Officer!
1) Take Good Care of Yourself
◦ Meditate (see the link above)
◦ Stretch (your body and mind)
◦ Do fun things (whatever that means to you)
◦ Read (inspirational books)
◦ Sing (songs that make you Happy)
◦ Run around (playing sports, chasing kids, by yourself)
◦ Relax (without electronics)
◦ Sleep (make it a priority and create positive routines)
◦ Create Gratitude Triggers™ (every morning or night write down 5 things you are grateful for)
◦ Believe (in whatever makes you feel grateful and joyful)
2) Decide to be the Chief Paradise Officer of your Life
◦ Believe (that it’s possible to enjoy work)
◦ Smile (fake it until you make it)
◦ Be nice to others (they are struggling too)
◦ Stop complaining (no one wants to hear about it)
◦ Breathe (over and over, deeply)
◦ Quit taking things personally (unless you’ve been really mean, it’s not personal)
◦ Take a break (you deserve it and you’ll do better work if you take one)
◦ Give yourself permission to be happy (put that skip back in your step)
Let me know how you improve your job satisfaction - I’m interesting in hearing from you!
Looking for your next healthcare speaker? Get in touch with us today to make your healthcare event a success!